Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Power of God's Grace...

This is what I have learned…
To be forgiven is a tremendous gift from God...

In a recent Sunday school class, that I co-teach, the lesson was about forgiveness. The kids were talking about how they know to say they’re sorry when they “trespass” against a friend or loved one. My co-teacher, who was running the class this particular day, also stated that if we tell God we are sorry, He will forgive us; a much larger concept for Preschoolers to grasp. The class finished up without much fuss or fanfare, and we all went about our lives, however, I felt a deep stirring in my soul. This theme of forgiveness keeps crossing my path lately, and I am drawn to express my feelings with you.



I was not raised in what some would call a traditional Christian home. Sure, I learned the Golden Rule and to avoid hurting others and to be honest, at whatever cost. But I did not know Jesus – very well. I knew of him, but I was not taught his teachings directly, only indirectly.

Other than some special nights when I stayed at my maternal grandmother’s, and slept beside her in her bed while she recited her rosary prayers, I did not recognize prayer or the gospel. My parents did not believe in forcing religion on my sister and I the way it was forced on them. I should mention that we did go through a very short period of Sunday school classes, but once my parents found out that we were skipping the class and hiding out in the backyard of the church, our classes ended abruptly.
I came to know Jesus during a rather stormy, transitional time in my life: The time leading up to the marriage of my husband, Kurt. This was a second marriage for me, and, well, let’s just say, that my 1st experience with marriage left me with huge battle wounds – emotionally, physically, financially. Albeit I had the support of my family and friends, and their love pulled me through, I still felt an emptiness inside my soul.

Knowing that I definitely, no-way, no-how wanted a repeat performance of my 1st walk down the aisle, I turned to the church. I visited many churches, searching for the right fit. I found my way at a local community non-denominational church. This church and the members therein provided me with a safe haven for self-discovery, awareness, knowledge of the scriptures, and a chance to be reborn in Christ. I was baptized, again! Yes, as an infant I was baptized, but it didn’t feel real to me. It’s the sort of feeling you might get if someone built you a shell of a house, and then said to you, “okay, now you finish it on your own without tools or know-how.”




The incredible feeling of forgiveness and love washed over me the moment I stood before the congregation and the healing waters were poured over my head. It was a peace I had never known before. It was a miraculous feeling. This power that was offered to me has changed my life forevermore. I am extremely grateful for my faith, my family and my God. Jesus Christ is one awesome teacher, healer, and builder of faith-filled homes. ;}






This Thanksgiving I am reminded of the forgiveness that has been graciously, generously, unconditionally offered to all of us. With an overwhelmingly grateful heart, I accept!

Peace be with you, my friends,
Barb

p.s. Thank you K & J for the honor of attending, witnessing and photographing your sweet baby girl's baptism. I am blessed by your friendship.

p.s.s. Here's a sweet melody that I adore; give a listen!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgZMjW0TTE


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful sentiment. Wish you and all you family a wonderful thanksgiving..

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post. thank you for sharing. i find that writing about religion to the great wide web is a bit intimidating. something i hope to overcome. thanks for the inspiration. happy thanksgiving to you and Kurt and the girls. xo A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, powerful story Barb! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete