Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Time to Give

Four and a half days without electric power gives an individual a chance to reflect - a lot.  (Not to mention, lots of time to read, too!).  And, right before Halloween, time to carve pumpkins!  Carve, I did.  Read, I did.  Reflect, I did.  

As hurricane "Sandy's" pounding winds beat against our home late into the night on Monday (10/29/12), I sat in my bed reading, terrified of what might happen; of what could possibly happen.  The mature trees that surround our property could have easily fallen on our home, or worse.  Tornadoes popped into my mind.  I was scared, thoroughly, intensely.  But somehow, I managed to sleep, a little.  I said prayers, my friends - many prayers that night.  

The next day brought lots of rain, but the winds had subsided (thankfully!).  And rainy days without power bring lots of playtime, too.  I decided we needed to cheer ourselves up by carving pumpkins!  Alanna drew the faces for the pumpkins, and I carved.  The girls were curious about the innards, the fleshy part of the pumpkin - smelling it and touching it only briefly with expletives like, "Eww! Yuck!"  So, I dug my hands in and removed the pulp and the seeds.  I separated the two, thinking that once the power came back I would coat the seeds in olive oil and sea salt and roast them up for a tasty treat.  The seeds sat in a bowl on the countertop, drying.  I didn't give them much thought after that, especially since I had so many other things on my mind (like all the work I should be doing!!).  

Time slows down when you're off the grid.  My days were reminiscent of that of a pioneer woman.  Starting the fire in the kitchen's wood stove; tending that fire all day; boiling water on the stove to wash dishes and ourselves; heating meals on the stove.  Life pretty much revolved around the basic elements of water and fire.  No, we do not own a generator.  They are costly to purchase, and also to run.  We do well without one, and are happy to have our wood stove (thanks again, Jeri & Scott!!).  We feel like we are camping - but without a tent and the great outdoors, we are home-camping. ;) 

Anyhow … I'll stop my rambling about pioneer days and camping at home and get to the point.  I want to help those in need - those who were devastated by the likes of hurricane "Sandy." I feel incredibly fortunate that our biggest dilemma over the past week was the loss of power.  If that's all, that's nothing compared to the devastation that "Sandy" ended up wreaking havoc on.  Here's my plan: 

I am preparing to donate 10% of my profits throughout the month of November to the American Red Cross.  So far, to date, I have raised $24.50 and it's only November 4!  These profits are coming from session fees paid by client-friends, gift certificates for future use, and client-friend's gallery sales (prints, cards, merchandise, including album sales).  The holidays are coming and photos (and gift certificates for photo sessions) make for wonderful gifts from the heart for those we love.  Now, you have even more reasons to make abundant purchases! 

Also, I plan to donate 100% of my profits to the American Red Cross from any and all sales made from purchases through my Fine Art Gallery.  Prints, mugs, mouse pads, canvasses, puzzles, cards, framed photos, etc.  The sky's the limit!  The more you purchase, the more generous I can be!  As easy as that!  I will gladly keep you up to date on a regular basis as sales come in.  I'd be grateful to you if you would pass this blog post along to your friends & family so they may also contribute to sales and the success of this little idea of mine - let it grow.  Thank you in advance. :) 

Speaking of things that grow!!  This morning as I sat down to write this, I heard the excited squeals of my 6 y/o as she came running into my office - "Mom! Mom!! LOOK!!!



She proudly showed me with the excitement of discovery that the pumpkin seeds left drying on the kitchen countertop had indeed sprouted!!  ;)  Wow!!  I had an epiphany moment and got caught up in her excitement, as well!  Just as this idea of giving back to those in need, however small it may be, will grow.  I have faith in that!



To visit my Fine Art Gallery of photographs, please click on this link: 
http://my3girls.smugmug.com/Art/Open-Art-Gallery/18975059_W9XbQT

Gift certificates lock in the current session fee price, are valid for 1 year from the date of issue, and come printed on recycled paper in a beautifully wrapped gift box.  To purchase a gift certificate for future use, please contact me by either calling or emailing:
610.856.1783
my3girlsphotography@gmail.com

If you are a past client of mine and would like to have access to your expired gallery for purchases, please contact me and I will reinstate your gallery at no additional fee for 2 days. :)

I am so very grateful to all of my client-friends:  past, present and future ones!!  You make my life as an artist and an activist well served and incredibly meaningful.  

With warm gratitude,
Barb

P.s.  I do believe I have some pumpkin seeds ready to be seasoned and roasted! ;) 

P.p.s. For more information about the American Red Cross and their tireless efforts to help those in need, please click on this link >American Red Cross<

No comments:

Post a Comment