Sunday, June 12, 2011

new directions

There are more changes coming down the path for me and my family. I had an eye-opening, heart-warming, soul-searching experience while teaching the preschoolers and pre-Kindergarteners at La Salle Academy these past 4 months, and have decided not to return next school year. Can I just say ~ teaching is not for the faint of heart! It takes guts, persistence, hard-work, dedication, talent and the ability to live on less (especially in parochial schools). I am truly in awe of the dedicated teachers that I have met. They are real gems, and I will miss seeing them everyday. I will miss the little ones that have touched my heart as well. I have saved all the drawings, cards and "I love you, Mrs. Liszcz"es with every fiber of my being. My days with those children will never leave me. But ... I have made a choice. And I do believe it's the best choice for me and my family. 

With a bit of hesitation at my next move, I begin the process of doing what is best for my family. Maybe Alanna senses the hesitation, and expresses it herself ... Here she is getting ready for her culminating gym show at Berks Gymnastics in Reading last night.      



Let me also say that I am not faint of heart. For those that truly know me, know that I don't back down easily. I can face a challenge head on, baby! :) I'd also like to say that I LOVE TEACHING! It's something that took hold and resides at the very core of me. I will always have a teacher's soul (you know the sort ~ somewhat bossy, yet sweet as honey ;). It's who I am. But there are times when your "gut" tells you that it's time to move on, and this is one of those times. 

I am really excited about the possibility of homeschooling my 5 year old. She will be a Kindergartner. Our public school district no longer offers a half-day program, and we can not afford the local private schools. So, it's a no-brainer! Why not?! My husband is somewhat leery. He knows that I like to be "beyond busy." I have a bad habit of taking on too much and then, maybe just a little, I drive him crazy with my craziness. ;) Hey, what are hubby's for anyhow?!! I believe it'll work out. I have confidence that offering my children an education that is home-based, home-loving, and home-schooled is what is best for right now. 

Here is Alanna after the gym show. What a difference! She did a great job and had so much fun!! Kurt and I are very proud. :)



Let me know your thoughts on homeschooling. Do you know anyone that homeschools? Maybe there are other parents in my area {Twin Valley School District} that are thinking along the same lines as me. We could connect and help one another. :) I'm all about community spirit. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks for listening, my friends.

All the best,
always,
Barb

1 comment:

  1. You will be an incredible teacher to your little Alanna b/c you already know how she learns. Who better to teach her? This will keep you right where your children need you -- at home. And it's kindergarten. There isn't a lot of true pressure, other than what you will put upon yourself. It's best for now. It may not always be best, but you don't have to know that now. Go with now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete