Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reflections of Mansfield

Time has a way of sneaking up on us.  I cannot believe that my 1st daughter is 22 already!   As of her last birthday, I have been a mom for more than half of my life!!  But, you know, I'm not going to wallow in this, rather I celebrate it.  Yes, it's true that I am preparing my 3rd and youngest daughter to begin preschool this fall (which includes potty training!!), my 2nd daughter for 1st grade AND my 1st and oldest for her junior year of college!!  Some of you will more than likely read this and shake your heads in disbelief, however, I feel very fortunate and blessed to have such a range of ages between my 3 girls.  They are my life.  I love being their mom. :)

Speaking of college preparations, my 1st daughter, Chelsea and I headed north this past weekend to attend Mansfield University of Pennsylvania's orientation.  Just the two of us.  We left on Friday as soon as my husband got home from work and we could "tag team," or in other words, I handed over responsibility of our young 'uns with a high five and a kiss goodbye!!  Chelsea and I hit the open road bound for Mansfield, PA - way up yonder in the mountains of central Pennsylvania in Tioga County.  We were so excited to get there that we only made one quick pit stop!  Chelsea was in charge of DJ'ing our music selection (The Beatles, John Mayer, Norah Jones, Dave Matthews Band - to name a few).  We had great conversation, enjoyed the sights, and photographed every interesting thing you can think of!! ;)  Three and a half hours later we arrived.        



The closer we got to Mansfield, the more excited we became!  We were pleasantly blessed with a beautiful omen ~ a rainbow!!!  :-))


When we did arrive Mansfield, we drove straight to the college to have a look - see.  I was immediately struck by the architecture of some of the older buildings.  But I'll save those treats for a little later and further into the story! 
  

We then checked into our accommodations at The Mansfield Inn.  The Inn was comfortable, clean and budget worthy.  Just right for us!! 

We headed out for dinner at Gregory's Restaurant and Lounge just across the street from the Inn.  Our dinner was fine dining and delicious!  
It hit the spot!  We were ready to head out on the town to see what this quaint little Victorian style town had to offer.
  

There weren't many people out and about.  It's pretty quiet I suppose in the summertime as most of the college students are away.  We did manage to find some fun though!  Walking along the main street we took note of the small businesses:  antique shop, jeweler, a brewery restaurant, florist, hairdresser, garage, a coffee shop, Ten West Espresso Co. with live music being performed in their parking lot area, and a small bar, Chango's Cantina with a pool table.  Chelsea's eyes lit up when she saw the pool table and insisted that we go in and challenge whomever was playing so we could gain the table for ourselves.  Chelsea won the table!  But she didn't beat her momma! ;)  Chelsea's probably thinking "rematch! rematch!"  

We were tired and headed back to our room to get comfortable.  Our Saturday's agenda of orientation began sharply at 7:30am.  


Saturday morning came much too soon, as we stayed up until the wee hours watching one of my favorite movies on AMC, The Shawshank Redemption. 
If you have never seen this movie, I would highly recommend that you do! 

We arrived Mansfield University and were warmly welcomed by attending students.  Did someone say *coffee*?!  Oh, yes please!!! 


We visited the book store, Chelsea got her photo taken for her student ID 
and we found time to wander the grounds a little and, of course, take photos!!

Mansfield University is a large, sprawling campus consisting of 175 acres!  They have something for everyone!  Even their gymnasium offers an olympic size swimming pool!

We also found the game room in the Student Center.  I think she was sold the moment she saw 4 full size pool tables!!
She was ready to rack 'em up and attempt to challenge me once again.


Mansfield University traces its history back to 1857 when it was originally built as a seminary.  The now "North Hall Library," a 7-story Victorian building, overwhelmed me with its ornate, beautifully detailed architecture.  This building was built by master craftsmen of stone and brick masons.  
True artists of their time.  I couldn't take my eyes off of it!!  


According to Wikipedia:  "The building was closed in 1975, and was almost demolished. But pressure from campus and community leaders salvaged North Hall. $11 million was used to restore the building through state and private funding. In 1996 North Hall reopened as a library, providing state-of-the-art technology.

Thankfully, this wondrous creation was saved… 


And yet another amazing creation of aesthetic beauty - Straughn Hall; named after Mansfield's first "president," William Straughn.  The auditorium can seat up to 1167 people.  An outstanding building and regrettably I didn't take any photos while inside.  (next time!)  I am not able to find much information on the origination of opening or construction of this exquisite theatre, but I did find a photo that was dated 1929. 



Chelsea navigates her way just outside the Student Center in order to pick up her ID and finalize the day's agenda before heading home. 


As I waited for her, I photographed this beautiful planetarium, The Grant Science Center.  I can't wait to come back and explore these buildings more closely! 


Chelsea looks happy and content here.  I believe she is ready to get started NOW!! 


Thank you, Chelsea for allowing me the opportunity to explore your new school with you, my love.  And thank you for obliging me by listening to my words of advice, even though I know you'll make the best decisions for yourself, it's just the mom in me that feels compelled to impart my own knowledge.  It's what moms do.  I had a wonderful time with you!  I am eager for you to dig your heels in and set off on this next exciting chapter in your life.  I want you to do your best and continue to shine your beautiful, creative light.  The world needs you and your vision.  It's time to put the past behind you and GO forth in confidence, diligence, and show us ALL what you got!!  :)

I love you. 

love,
mom

P.s. Aug 23 can't come fast enough! Yay!!! 

8 comments:

  1. Soooooo happy you were able to spend this time together!!! I am really looking forward to visiting Mansfield especially after viewing these GREAT pictures!!! You both are so blessed to have each other and I could not be more proud of you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your photos of MU! I graduated from the Music Ed program in 1985. Loved the school!
    Seeing your daughter with the pool tables reminded me that they used to have billiards as a "phys ed" course! I think that I was in the last class offered...
    Enjoy your time at Mansfield, Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son will be attending MU in the Fall as a Freshman. We visited for the first time in February and amazingly it was a clear, sunny and almost 60 degree day. I had many of the same impressions and with tear in my eyes, read your posting, knowing this will be a great place for him to embark on the next phase of his life. And yes, that's what Moms do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Mansfield from 1995-1999 and looking at your pictures brought back memories. Your daughter will have an amazing time. I remember all my fond memories of college life and frequently wish I could go back! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in the last Freshman class to call North Hall "home" before it was closed to later be saved and become the library. My mom was also a Mansfield University graduate, and we had lots of stories to share about North Hall. I'm a native of Tioga County and take my surroundings for granted, so it's always nice to hear others say positive things about this part of PA. Best wishes to your daughter as she starts college life here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like such a wonderful place... I think Chelsea will be very happy there... Love your blog ... and You both so very much, Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Mansfield U! I am also an alum, and Marge and I were uundergrads together in the music ed. program, and we did our junior recital together! I also got my graduate degree from Mansfield in '92, and I have so many wonderful memories of going to school there. I hope Chelsea has a wonderful time there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Mansfield! I'm an alumni and also a staff member (since 1998). And yes....Billiards was offered as a Phys Ed course till the mid 90's. You will also find tables in some of the residence halls as well. Its a good place to let creativity shine! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete