Monday, January 26, 2015

Something New to Try

It’s a snow day and all the kiddos in the surrounding area are out of school on a “snowy holiday.”  This calls for much enthusiasm and jumps for joy!!  This is the first this year - I guess we should count ourselves as lucky!  As far as Pennsylvania winters go, this has been a relatively uneventful one … so far.  Although, we are facing blizzard warnings with more snow to come and gusts of wind upwards of 28 mph.  I need to write quickly before our power goes out!  Ack! 


I’ve been feeling a bit “stuck” lately; processing some things to come; and wondering what my next move should be.  I took some advice from a fellow Facebook friend and organic living enthusiast, Maria Rodale ( I’m still in shock that I have the privilege of her online friendship - she’s such an inspiration to me! ).  In her post, 10 New Things to Try This Year, she suggests having an "opposite day."  I gave it a go.  I cleaned out a back corner in our sunroom/porch this morning; organized the girls art supplies including their ever-expanding collection of markers, pencils and gel pens; their board games and puzzles.  I then cleaned off *my* art desk (the girls had overtaken it - with my loving consent) and moved my computer from my small corner office without much of a view (I won’t complain, I’m glad for the pretty space in which to call my own) out to the porch with a terrific view!  Here, I write.  


I’ve got a beautiful, snow covered view of our neighbor’s Christmas trees.  Baby conifers all wrapped in white.  There’s no sun, but I’ll take the view any day!  I watched a hawk chasing off some sort of large buzzard earlier and I can hear the birds at the feeders.  Ah, just what I needed - and I’m writing, too!  Thanks for the inspiration, Ms. Rodale!!  

~~~~~~~ Pay it Forward Update ~~~~~~~

As I prepare to trek off to Music City USA (aka Nashville, TN) this Thursday for a photography conference, Imaging USA, I thought to give everyone a quick update on my Pay-it-Forward initiative and hopefully spur some additional donations.  I am thrilled at how well this has been received, for all the donations in support of my crowd-funding idea.  You all should know how much this means to me - I am humbled and grateful to everyone who has contributed thus far.  My goal for donating $100 to 5 different charitable, non-profit organizations is in need of a few more helping hands, hearts and generous souls, please.  We have reached roughly $65 for each, however, I know we can increase that number!  I really want to make the $500 overall goal a reality.  If you are un-trusting of online donation forums, you may send a donation directly to me instead.  Simply send me an email (my3girlsphotography@gmail.com) and I'll let you know the details of where to send your contribution.  I will then submit your donation as an “offline donation" to keep track of on the fundraising page.  AND … I’ve decided in lieu of a random prize drawing, I’m putting together a luncheon at my home, in your honor.  It’s going to be a fun get-together for us; all my treat!  Bring your camera along.  If you have questions you’d like to ask, feel free to do so and we’ll make it a camera club style luncheon in appreciation for your support.  Or not.  If you'd just like to come and enjoy the fellowship, you are welcome!  All that’s needed to receive an invitation to this special party is a $5 Pay-it-Forward donation.  The deadline to make a contribution is Valentine's Day to receive a special invitation.  This party will be hosted in the springtime - mid to late April - when all the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding (think spring!).  More information and details will be forthcoming.  I hope this alternative idea helps to inspire us along and we make this goal, together.  I look forward to seeing you all this spring!  

As Robin Williams said, “Spring is nature's way of saying, Let's party!”  :) 
   





No comments:

Post a Comment