Tuesday, February 23, 2010

*80* Birthdays

80 birthdays add up to a whole lot of love; not to mention candles! My husband’s mom, a 3rd mother to me, just turned 80 and what a joyous celebration we had.


We gathered at her 1st son's home to commemorate the occasion. His wife, J, has made their house into a beautiful home – one that is inviting, warm and wrapped in the sweet securities of a loving abode.

D, my mom-in-love, certainly did enjoy the festivities. She loves a good stiff martini. She laughs when someone asks her if she’d like a mixed drink. She’d say, “What for?! Give it to me straight up!”

And that goes perfectly with her personality too. She’s a straight-up-kind-of-gal. I have never known her to embellish the truth, or make niceties to make one feel better. No, not D. She will only ever be exactly who she is: a genuine, honest spoken, rustic, country girl, who loves her family fiercely – just like a lioness. Her faith in God is that of a child. I have no doubt in my mind that this woman will see the kingdom of heaven as it was intended just for her.

I love this little lady with all of my heart. She has taught me that love can be unconditional, forgiving and true. All of her best qualities have passed on to my husband, and that’s probably why I fell in love, not only with him, but with his whole family. I have a tendency to be impatient, and at times, willful or dreamy, but, lucky for me, my hubby brings me back to reality and teaches me time after time how to live in the moment and to be grateful for our blessings. I only hope that I can live up to their standards with honor and grace.
Many more happy birthdays, D! :)

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful celebration y'all had... So proud to feel as though I'm a part of it... Barb your thoughts are as special as you are ~~~ My wonderful, beautiful Daughter... All my Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words and pictures brought me to tears, Barb. Yes, I think that's why I also adore her! Wish I could have been there. Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a loving and most beautiful tribute to your "mom in love"!!! We are all better people having D in our lives!! You have so deeply and beautifully captured the essence of this wonderful woman in her element..."FAMILY"!!! We so very much look forward to our next get together! Bub, I am in awe of your talents!! Much love always... Mom XOX

    ReplyDelete